A STATEMENT FROM LUDGERSHALL TOWN COUNCIL
Ludgershall Town Council was offered a building in 2015, on the Corunna Estate, to be used for community use, when the Army rebasing was complete. Many promises, monetary and building work, have been made to LTC over the years for help with this building, which had made the viability of taking the building on attractive. However, in the end there will be no help and the costs that would be required to make the building fit for purpose along with the continued upkeep, would outweigh any benefit to Ludgershall.
Many meetings and discussions have been held over the years, during the last meeting with Wiltshire Council the following issues were highlighted:
Q: Would LTC have looked at this type of building if it had not been offered?
Q: Does LTC feel pressured into taking the building on?
Q: What do LTC actually need?
A: Looking forward for growth, a larger office to expand staff members and a large meeting room and community hub area if possible.
Q: Are LTC able to fund this themselves?
A: Not without a grant/loan
There was always one point, in the proposed contract that LTC just could not ignore. Although the building would have been given to LTC for a £1, if LTC spend the money to refurbish the building and then want to move, into a better positioned building in the future, LTC would not have anything to sell as the building has to be offered back to Wiltshire/MOD for £1. And therefore, the money spent on refurbishments would be lost.
The Council have discussed over and over how to make this work and they cannot justify the spend.
The following reasons are why LTC have had to decline the offer:
- The condition Survey shed light on a large cost to rectify and make the building safe to use.
- The promise of £100,000 help from WCC not coming to fruition and then the 50/50 grant also being taken away has meant the costs would all be down to LTC.
- It is not in the Centre of Town.
- Use is restricted to community only.
- LTC would need to know what and who would use the available community space.
- This may take away from the other halls in Ludgershall.
- We would need a management team, marketing/admin/caretaker/cleaner more expense.